Tuesday, April 22, 2008

New Room!!

So I finally got my room how I want it! My room is around 10' x 13' and I have tried to squeeze as much in as I possibly can...at one point this area was actually my kids playroom, but as they have gotten older it has become mom's playroom. They still have some space in here, but everytime I re-arange the room they get less and less...

This first picture is from the doorway to my room, some of my stamps are to the right, and I reclaimed one shelf to put my papers back on.

My desk is a HUGE, heavy desk we got at Costo last year and I really love it!! It has tons of work space and lets me keep my most used items close at hand!

The next picture is of my main stamp storage rack...current stamps are on the top 2 shelves, papers are next followed by retired, hodgepodge hardware, pretties kit and my scissors. The black hard case to the side is my Tech club files. I really like having my stamps so close to my work area and the extra chair is nice for being able to ponder my choices before I start a project.

This is one of my new shelving units I got to help with the storage issues in my area. This stores my brads (which are stored in a tackle box...) eyelets, cards, label maker, embossing powders, pearl-ex powders, twinkling h2o's, scrap ribbons, and my 12 x 12 papers. I still want to get a better paper storage system going, but to quote Flylady...babysteps!! I also keep my paper towels and supplies for messy projects on this.

To the left is my floral storage and my business supplies. The huge blue binder is the largest binder they make and is full of all my SU! images. I will have to take a few pics of it for a later post...I am quite proud of how it turned out. I also have my card folder and technique journal over there. The bottom shelf has my cross-stitch books and several years worth of Stampin' Up! idea books and Close to My Heart catalogs. My sewing stand is next to that, right now it is mostly being used as a display area (albeit a cluttered display area...)

Next comes the closet, which big surprise here, is full of shelves and (more) craft supplies!! I moved my wreath storage into the closet and this is also where I store my yarn and cross-stitch fabric. On the other side of the closet is the kids crafts supplies. Has anyone guessed yet that I LOVE shelves?? I would make this room nothing but shelves and storage if I could...at least I'm on the right track for it...LOL!!

This would be where the rest of my retired stamps are along with my Cricut cartridges...I do try to keep the stamps organized by theme, but that is hard to do sometimes...for the most part this system work alright for me, but Suzanne's post about unmounting her stamps really has me thinking...the first thought is "Do you know how many more stamps I could get in this area??!!??" I would have to venture a guess that thought would not be the first my DH would have...

Next to the retired stamps and cartridges is my ribbon storage along with my cutter storage and scrapbooks. If you look closely you can see the only shelf my kids have in this room, all the board games are stored on the bottom of this shelving unit. The wooden ribbon holder was hand made by my DH...If you ask me I need LOTS and LOTS MORE of them. The ribbons are semi-grouped into like colors/themes...I have found that I could buy ribbon all the time, in fact when we get new shipments of ribbon in at Michael's I have to make myself not look at it or I will take most of it home...The pink and black binders hold my Cuttlebug shapes, one binder is mostly embossing plates and the other is dies. I need to look into storage for my Nestablities, right now they are stored on top of my scrap ribbon bin...

Here is underneath my desk, I have 2 giant drawers stacked for scraps, the top one is SU! only and the bottom is everything else. The paper holders down here hold most of my non-SU! papers. The purple drawers hold my non-SU! stamps (which I need more space for...) and various tools that I want close, heat gun, stamp cleaning pads, non-SU! inks and markers.

I use the keyboard tray to hold my coloring supplies. This is a great way to have them close but keep them out of the way when I'm not using them. I'm kinda wanting to put my Prismacolor pencils in cups and have them on my desk, but I'm pretty anal about keeping them color coordinated, so I guess they will stay in the tin they came in. I also store my rulers here, so they are easy to get to.


This is what I call my inspiration wall...here I keep cards that have been sent to me mostly by my friends on SCS, when I'm feeling blue or un-inspired I like to look at them and it makes me feel better! This is also the area I store all my current SU! ribbons, and of course my Cricut Expressions.

This last picture is of the inside of the hutch part of my desk, right now it is holding most of my punches, different hardback books, my xyron and all my paints, glitters, stickles, primas and other stuff that I'm not sure what to do with...
I hope you have enjoyed this virtual tour of my room, I love having people come over and play with me...if only I could find more to do that!! My best customer loves telling me I need a 12-step program...and after all this typing and picture taking I'm likely to agree with her...Suzanne - feel free to show your hubby there are other people with loads of supplies...
Now if I could only get the rest of my house as neat and organized as my craft room...I'd have it made :)

10 comments:

Misti said...

Looks great, Sarah!!! I wish I lived close enough to visit! :)

--Misti

Diane said...

WOW! You have done a fabulous job organizing your space! Enjoy!

Lee said...

Wow Sarah!!! I'm sooooo impressed!!! That's just amazing!! Is it so much fun to stamp now that you're so organized??? You're making me more impatient than ever to get all my stuff outta my living room!!! LOL

Suzanne said...

Whoa.....Sarah this is fantastic. If I lived closer I'd be over in a minute! You have done a great job and I think...no I know I want to make organizing my craft space and making better use of the space I have a summer priority. I will be using some of your ideas I think if you don't mind. By the way I'm loving my unmounted stamps. It is so much easier to find what I want to use!

Thanks for the mention also.

Anonymous said...

Your room is awesome! Have fun playing in there!

thinker said...

Sarah... I love how you have organized everything... it looks like a giant playroom - perfect for stamping LOL

UrgentCookie said...

Great job on your room Sarah! I am in the process of revamping my room and unmounting my stamps. Huge process to do both at the same time!

Diane Noble said...

Sarah, your craft room looks great! Don't you just love going in to a space right after it's been organized and relishing it all!! Looks like everything has a place...that always helps. Some great organizing tips. TFS

I'm headed to Suzanne's to see a little more on all this buzz about unmounting our stamps....hmmmm....a little scary to me. But knowing Suzanne, she's found the perfect way to do it all. Thanks for the lead.

Are you coming to the FB gathering in KC this summer?

Beth said...

Wow Sarah-I'm totally overwhelmed! Your room is fantastic-thank you so much for the tour. I'm happy that you've dried out a little, too. I wish I could come over and play!!!!
:-)

kerianne said...

I love your room and it has made me feel oh so much better about how much stuff I have ;) I am still working on getting my space the way I want it...but you are an inspiration!!