Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Butterflies Galore!!

How many times have you found a great stamp set that you just KNEW you had to have only to get it home and then nothing?? or even worse make the one project that inspired you to purchase the set and nothing else??? That has happened to me more times than I care to remember...because of that a bunch of my friends on Splitcoast Stampers and I have challenged ourselves to make at least 5 projects with each set we get, and the goal is to make those 5 projects BEFORE we purchase new sets to play with ;)

I did pretty good with the last catalog in making cards before I purchased new sets, but have slipped off the wagon a little with this AWESOME new catty...so I decided to get busy making cards with the great sets I have and try to postpone buying more sets until I have some great samples in my binder.

Here are 3 cards I created with Kind Thoughts (pg 122, #111095, $25.95):
This card was greatly inspired by PickleTree on SCS - you can see her card here, I changed a few details to make it more my own. This is also a bigger card than I usually make, this one is 4.5 x 7. I'm just loving Chocolate Chip lately so of course it had to make it's way into this card, and this is really the first time I've played with Baja Breeze, which is one of our new In Colors for 2009. I wasn't too sure of it at first, but it is so elegant with the Chocolate...I stamped my butterflies in Chocolate Chip and them stamped them again on a scrap piece of paper in Baja Breeze with Chocolate Chip around the edges, using the Rock-n-Roll technique. I cut out the wings and them covered them with Crystal Effects and Dazzling Diamonds glitter. Once the CE was dried I adhered the wings to the Chocolate Chip butterflies and finished my layering. I also got to use the new Scallop Edge punch and to help pull the scallops in I used my Scallop Circle punch to create 2 circles and then quartered them and adhered them to the corners of the card.

Here is the second card I created with Kind Thoughts:

I wanted the butterflies to be a little more whimsical for this card so I punched the circles out of my Pacific Point first in a random pattern and them stamped my butterflies in Chocolate Chip on a Whisper White background. I wanted to make sure their wings would be poking out of the circles so I purposely stamped them off center. I created a great faux background sheet by tearing a scrap piece of paper and adhered it to my card base with repositionable adhesive. I sponged Kiwi Kiss all over the bottom of the card and used 2 more pieces of scraps with straight edges to created a striped effect. I sponged the stripes with Old Olive to have a little contrast. Here is a tutorial for the faux tearing from SCS. This isn't the exact way I did it, but pretty close. Again I stamped my butterflies on a scrap piece of paper in different colors and cut out the wings to attach them to the card. This time I used my fingers to bend the wings up a little and only adhered the wings right next to the body.

For the third card I also got to play with the Little Tee's from Gina K:
I used Pink Pirouette for my base and did a tone-on-tone image of the great flourish from Kind Thoughts and also did tone-on-tone for the butterfly. I added a Baja Breeze panel down the left side and did tone-on-tone butterflies on this as well. For the Little Tees I sponged Pink Pirouette and Pretty in Pink onto the shirt after I stamped and colored Eeyore with his butterfly. Then I cut the shirt out and mounted it with pop-dots. I made this card for a co-worker who had a rough day on Sunday, so I thought this would help cheer her up.
I hope you have enjoyed these 3 cards, hopefully I will have a couple more to show you in the next couple of days.

4 comments:

Teresa said...

They all look great!

Terrific challenge!

Christi Flores said...

OMG! All of your cards are fantastic!!!!

Lee said...

SARAH!!! Oh wowzers girl!!!! You're sure on a creative roll!!! I love butterflies and these cards are soooo lovely!!! The glitter butterflies would of course have to be my faves!!!! LOL Way to go with this challenge..........I gotta start playing again since I bought too many new things recently!!!

Melanie said...

Really like hat you did with your tee! :)